Everything’s Here but the White Telephone
9237 Flicker Way
Doheny Hills, Above the Sunset Strip
Remember those dreamy sets from Hollywood’s Golden Era? You know, the ones from the late ‘30s and early ‘40s as seen in films such as The Philadelphia Story and The Women. These sets were palpably different from the dark, heavy sets of the silent era. Light, fresh, bright sets lifted Depression era spiritsespecially at MGM, where they became almost a trademark. Studio wags dubbed them “white telephone” sets.
To see these sets, rent a film classicor come visit the next best thing in town: 9237 Flicker Way. Designed by architect F. Lea MacPike in 1937, this home has never before been on the market. The original owner maintained it as originally built and decorated. All the details, from the gracious center entry hall to the step-down living room with elegant broken-pediment archway to the warm, paneled library are intact. When the best of the old is too often a vague memory, how refreshing it is to visit an authentic, quality, intact home that is an emblem of an era. Come travel in time:
- Unspoiled classic Traditional home in one of L.A.’s great, celebrity-studded neighborhoods just above the Sunset Strip.
- 5 bedroom, 4.5 bath (including maid’s room and bath); large living room with handsome fireplace; formal dining room; library/den with fireplace; sun room with fireplace (most likely not included in assessor’s square footage of 3,812 square feet) and service rooms. Lovely gardens, patios and sun deck.
- Over 1/3 acre (14,950 square feet per assessor’s records) prime corner lot with great curb appeal; quiet enclave OFF Doheny Drive; room for pool.
- Canyon and city lights views.
- Elegant detailing and original fixtures throughout.
- Trust sale; no court confirmation required.
The Chapman House, by L. G. Scherer, architect, 1936
1954 Micheltorena St.
Sleek “Hollywood Regency” villa at top of prime Silver Lake with pool, spa and city views. Nearly 1/3 acre, mostly flat, lot with expansive lawns. Mature plantings and specimen trees afford great privacy--enough for a celebrity. Elegant courtyard entry with fountain. Move-in condition throughout. Wonderful period details and complementary updates.
If Florence Knoll Married George Nelson…
3793 Amesbury Road
Los Feliz Hills
The Loopesko Residence, Cory and Rodwell, architects, 1961
Iconic Mid-Century designers, Florence Knoll and George Nelson, never married each other, but if they had, they might have lived here. Come up to the top of the Los Feliz hills and see what I mean:
- Trophy Mid-Century Modern with faithfully restored public spaces that follow the original architects’ open plan.
- 4 bedrooms; 3.5 baths in 3,097 square feet on a 13,503 square foot lot; figures per public records.
- Sensitively updated private spaces, including kitchen and bathrooms. Think Calacatta Gold marble meets thin- edge mahogany cabinets with white Viking appliances, including a 6-burner stove with grill. Wine cooler and coffee bar off formal dining room. The former maid’s room, now converted to a cozy media room next to the eat-in-kitchen, could easily be re-converted into a 5th bedroom.
- Thrilling city and mountain views. Perfect sequence of house-pool-view—all on one level.
- Gleaming terrazzo-floored public rooms and MBR spill onto spacious patio surrounding pool with additional patio space off kitchen and dining room.
- Frank Lloyd Wright influences, such as the low entry that leads into double-height family room with fireplace and wet bar plus adjacent living room with second fireplace. A rare blend of family living plus groovy entertaining…
- Once in a lifetime opportunity: buy adjacent 3787 Amesbury (see MLS# 08-264267) and create your own Modernist compound! These properties have never been on the market together. Same architect (Lou Rodwell); great view; private drive and huge, combined motor court. Live in one house and use the other as guest house / production office / recording studio or writer’s retreat.
- Turn-key condition. Newer systems throughout. Transferable home warranty.
- Customary sale terms. Not a probate sale.
2165 PONET DRIVE
The Los Feliz Oaks
The Adams House, William Adams, F.A.I.A., 1994. Los Feliz is renown for its first-rank domestic architecture. Although most folks think of the classic pre-war period revival and Modern homes, there is at least one recently-built Architectural home that can hold its own with the classic homes of Los Feliz. Enter here and find the craftsmanship, attention to detail, luxuriousness of material and finish and overall scale and drama rarely seen in recent memory.
- Gated entry with spacious motor court and oversized garage; professionally landscaped; room for pool
- Stepdown living room with autumn slate hearth and mantle, and dramatic view balcony
- Western red cedar ceiling and clear red oak floors
- Large dining room with French doors to outside entertainment area with fountain spa
- Gourmet kitchen with professional appliances, maple cabinets and dark green granite countertops; breakfast bar, area, kitchen office and powder roomrecently expanded by the original architect
- Three bedrooms with city views and 2.5 baths
- Sumptuous master suite with autumn slate fireplace, skylights and deep red marble shower and spa tub
- Den with terracotta floor, beams, and private patio
- Multipurpose room with beautiful builtin cabinetry
- Central air conditioning, security system, commodious wine cellar and more
5214 Los Diegos Way
Los Feliz Estates
5 bedrooms; 5 baths; family room; den; huge family-sized home in the heart of the Los Feliz Estates. Pool and spa; city views. Nearly 6,000 square feet on a quarter acre lot, per the assessor's records. Almost completely rebuilt about 20 years ago with high quality materials and amenities. Over-scale rooms--and plenty of them! A real value for north-of-the-Boulevard Los Feliz.
Palm Springs Comes to Los Feliz
5252 Los Grandes Way
Los Feliz Estates
Sleek Palm Springs-style Architectural on one of the highest streets in the Los Feliz Estates. Classic, full panorama view of the Los Angeles basin from downtown to the ocean. Step-down, atrium - style living room with high ceiling and clerestory windows under dramatic pleated roof (my favorite detail!). Very light and bright throughout. Great MBR suite with Roman tub, double dressing/vanity areas. Mostly original, unspoiled condition needing cosmetics to ready this gem for DWELL magazine.
Some more details:
- 3 bedrooms; 3 baths; family room with wet bar and attached sun room. 2,796 square foot house on a 10,977 square foot lot; both figures per the assessor.
- Large, atrium-style living room under high, pleated roof with clerestory windows opens to sunny, southern exposure, deep patio and unsurpassed views. Tall, marble fireplace.
- Spacious master suite with city views; double dressing, toilet and vanity areas; step-down Roman tub.
- Direct access from garage; updated kitchen with breakfast area; laundry room. Entry garden court.
- Original details intact, including terrazzo flooring and marble wall surfaces. Hardwood, carpet and tile flooring elsewhere.
- Quiet and private location high in the hills accessed without winding streets. 24-hour guard car protection.
Come Up to the Top of Los Feliz Where Value and Romance Intersect
4060 Farmouth Drive
Los Feliz Hills
Re-priced to be THE outstanding value on the hill! Take a look at this unforgettable 1930s walled Spanish villa at the very summit of Los Feliz with breathtaking views of the entire Los Angeles basin. Then, take another look at the price. Value and romance have truly intersected on Farmouth Drive. Here’s why:
- 2 huge master suites--one suite with sitting room-library, grand master bath, room-sized walk-in closet and expansive private sun deck; the other master suite has a marble bath plus its own sunroom/exercise room.
- Third bedroom and marble half-bath can double as den or office.
- Approximately 3,200 square foot house on a xxxxx foot lot per public records.
- Huge partly-finished sub-area may offer expansion possibilities.
- Captivating courtyard entry with fountain/pond and tiled patio with arched French doors that open to long living room with over-scale hooded fireplace.
- A series of French doors opens the wide sunroom to the southern exposure and the 180-degree view of the city and ocean. Nearly all rooms take full advantage of the spectacular view.
- Delightful character details abound, including the dramatic entry hall and stairway with vintage leaded glass windows.
- Newer gourmet kitchen with Wolf range and other high quality amenities. Breakfast room with its own view terrace.
- Separate laundry room.
- Formal dining room with adjacent wet bar.
- Detached, main-level 2-car garage. Central heat and A/C.
- Great entertaining, indoor/outdoor flow onto upper and lower view terraces, walled entry patio, sunroom and garden terrace.
- Move-in condition throughout.
- Expect the special, romantic and rarely-seen at any price!
2131 Cedarhurst Drive
Grand '30s tudor manor with downtown & city lights views & swimmers' pool. Impressive scale & size w/ 3 stories. Elegant & historic street. Southern exposure opens most rooms to sunshine & city views. Quality original character details throughout. Original hardwood floors & distinctive paneling. Ornately carved fireplace interiors. Updates include new roof, kitchen w/ viking, sub-zero, custom woodwork & marble surfaces. Includes steam shower, outdoor spa & sauna. Recording/editing rm. Celebrity provenance.
Why Los Feliz Isn’t the ‘Burbs
4046 Woking Way
Los Feliz Hills
Why do so many folks choose to live in Los Feliz? For many, it’s the answer to their dreams of the quintessential Los Angeles lifestyle: a vintage Mediterranean villa high in the hills with the city view, a vibrant neighborhood full of amenities and a
location handy to work and urban attractions. People here feel at once both energized and settled in. And that’s a tall order not likely to be found, for example, out in the ‘burbs.
Surely homebuyers seeking the Los Feliz lifestyle will believe that they have hit the mother lode here on Woking Way. What’s not to like about this immaculately-maintained home filled with both vintage delights and modern conveniences? Take a look at some of the details:
- 4 bedrooms; 3.5 baths in about 3,150 square feet per the owners, on a 7,840 square foot lot, per the public records.
- Classic Mediterranean built in 1928 by noted architects Weston and Weston as the Los Angeles home of wealthy Phoenix entrepreneur, L.H. Chalmers.
- 3 levels, with main rooms at street level, including living room; formal dining room; updated, eat-in kitchen and powder room. 2 bedroom suites, including luxurious master suite, and connecting sunroom/gallery comprise the top floor. The bottom level has two more bedrooms; a third bath; a clubby library/den, with second fireplace, that opens directly to the patio and garden; the laundry, with top-to-bottom chute, and extra storage.
- The double garage has direct access to the
- The terraced garden is large enough for a pool.
- All rooms avail themselves of spectacular panoramic views across the Los Angeles basin to the ocean and Santa Catalina Island.
The Most Romantic Spanish Home in Los Feliz?
3783 Effingham Place
Only a misanthrope could deny admiring the romance inherent in the classic Spanish colonial revival homes of Los Feliz. These homes recall an era of Packards and LaSalles, of radio evenings, of typewriters and telegrams. They conjure “Hollywood”–the golden days, that is–for generations drawn to more than the mundane. Is it any wonder, then, that such classic Spanish homes remain in demand?
Visit Effingham Place and feel the allure of the golden days that are now and lie ahead.
Some details to consider:
- 3 BR, 2 BA; den; 2,253 square foot home on a 7,660 square foot lotboth figures per the tax assessor.
- Impeccably restored, updated and designer-done “north of the Boulevard” jewel.
- Step-down living room with fireplace; formal dining room; convertible den.
- Authentic, original details abound.
- Eat-in chef’s kitchen in complementary, vintage style with Viking appliances and high-end amenities.
- Renovated baths, also in vintage style, but with up-to-date touches such as the steam shower.
- Lush, tropical gardens with splashing fountains, sunny tiled patios and shady retreats.
- Gated, walled and hedged for great privacy.
- Long, gated driveway affords extra parking and leads to double garage with lots of extra storage.
Records 11 to 20 of 136
*Represented both buyer and seller.
†sold above the asking price